Healthy Dinner Planner – Week 5
Saturday: Steak tips and Peppers/Onions on the Grill
Spring is slowly making its way to us and we’re celebrating with some more grilling this week. Tonight we’re grilling some beautiful steak tips and peppers and onions to serve over brown rice with Italian dressing and grape tomatoes.
- Marinate your steak tips in Italian dressing for at least 2 hours. Grill to your liking.
- Slice up 2-4 red, green, yellow or orange peppers and toss with a sliced up Vidalia onion.
- Put the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables in tin-foil packages (sealed up on all 4 edges).
- Serve over prepared brown rice and drizzle with Italian dressing.
Sunday: Lemon Salmon with Steamed Green and Rice side
- Cut your salmon into portion-sizes and place on top of lemon slices on a piece of tin-foil. Top with a small bit of butter and a shake of salt and pepper.
- Top with another piece of tin-foil and seal the edges together to make a neat packet.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
- Serve with a steamed green vegetable and your favorite rice side.
What a great way to start the week.
(original post from Pinterest)
Monday: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Salad
Sauté an onion with garlic and grass-fed ground beef and mix with your favorite red sauce. Top your favorite whole-grain pasta. I’ve said it before, but be sure to make too much of the red sauce so you have some left-over for lunches and after-school snacks. Serve with your favorite salad and enjoy.
Tuesday: Leeky Chicken served over Couscous with Golden Raisins
This is one of our family staples. You simply chop up some chicken breasts, sauté the chicken in a large pan with some olive oil, add your clean chopped leeks with some white wine, let the leeks gently wilt to a beautiful green, and swirl in a bit of butter. Serve over couscous cooked with chicken broth (instead of water) and some chopped golden raisins.
You can find the original recipe here: Leeky Chicken and Couscous
Wednesday: Fish Tacos
This is the BEST fish taco recipe we’ve found. (Adapted from Rachel Ray’s Express Lane Meals cookbook)
- Chop 1 large onion, 3-4 garlic cloves, 1 jalapeño pepper and sauté in a large pan with olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
- Add 1 can of drained corn kernels and 1/2 cup chicken stock, bring to a bubble, then continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Put 1 shredded romaine heart and 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro in a large salad bowl. Add the hot corn mixture to the bowl and mix together so the heat from the corn wilts the romaine.
- Wipe the skillet clean and return it to the stove over med-high heat with some olive oil. When hot, cook your white-fish fillets (halibut, whiting, haddock, cod, etc.). Flake the fish into large chunks with a fork and add it to the bowl with the corn and romaine.
- Scoop out 2 ripe avocados into your food processor.
- Add the zest of 2 limes, the juice of 1 lime, add 2 splashes of red wine vinegar (about 2 T).
- Stream in 3 T of extra-virgin olive oil and a couple shakes of hot sauce.
- Taste and season to your liking.
Wipe out the skillet again and blister the tortillas in the dry pan for a few seconds on each side. As you remove them, wrap them in a clean, kitchen towel so they stay warm and soft.
Arrange a pile of the fish-corn-romaine mixture on a warm tortilla and top with a spoon of the avocado dressing. Wrap, roll, and enjoy.
Thursday: Marinated Chicken on the Grill with Sweet Potato Fries and Green Vegetable
- Marinate chicken breasts in your favorite marinate overnight. Grill to your liking.
- Peel and cut/slice a couple sweet potatoes, toss with extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. (Tip: if you lightly paint your sweet potatoes with an egg-white-wash before baking, they’ll crisp up deliciously.)
- Steam your favorite green vegetable.
Serve and enjoy.
What are you serving this week?