Delicious Macaroni and Cheese with a tasty brew is one of my favorite ways to stock up on carbs before taking on a half or full marathon. Marathon fueling starts weeks before race day arrives. Here’s a sumptuous meal to add to your carb-crazed marathon taper menu.
Mac and Cheese with Ham and Peas:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Cook a full box of your favorite short pasta to al dente. Set aside and keep warm.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt 3-4 T of butter over medium heat. Whisk in 3 T of all-purpose flour.
3. Add in about 2 T Dijon mustard and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
4. Add 2 and 1/2 cups of milk all at once. Cook and stir until it’s thick and bubbly, then cook and stir for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add 2 to 3 cups of your choice of shredded cheeses. Stir to combine into amazing “melty-goodness.”
6. In a very large bowl, add the cooked pasta, and then mix in 1 cup of frozen peas, and 1 cup of cubed ham.
7. Add the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Transfer into a 9×13 baking dish and top with a mixture of:
- 1 T melted butter
- 3 T fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 T grated Parmesan cheese
8. Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Let this incredible dish stand (if you can) for 10 minutes before serving.