Sleep is the important half of your workout. You can’t rebuild, repair, and recover without it. On average, athletes need 8 to 10 solid hours every night. If you’re not sleeping well, you’re not living well.
American marathon record holder, Ryan Hall refers to his daily naps as business meetings. Lebron James sleeps 12 hours each night to stay sharp on the court. And, tennis star Maria Sharapova says “I love to sleep. It’s my hobby.” World-class athletes know that you can’t be your best without a good night’s sleep.
Too often, our busy lives and full schedules keep us from sleeping. But, don’t worry (yawn…), here are a few tips on sleeping better.
5 Tips for Sleeping Better
- Stick to a schedule. Your favorite show is on TV? That’s why you have a DVR. Your body needs a consistent sleep cycle.
- Make yourself comfortable. Turn off all the lights. Set the thermostat to a cool 65 degrees. Invest in a good mattress and bedding. Move all electronics and devices outside the bedroom.
- No caffeine after 3 pm. That afternoon pick-me-up will ruin your natural sleep patterns and keep you up at night.
- Get active. Hopefully you’re already active if you’re reading my blog. Regular exercise helps you fall asleep faster and sleep deeper. However, it might be tough to fall asleep if you exercise too late in the day.
- Manage Stress. If you have a lot on your mind, find a way to release your responsibilities before bed. You might consider writing your ideas down on a piece of paper for consideration in the morning.
Kohl’s has inspired me to improve my family’s health and happiness. Look for the #MakeYourMove hashtag on social media and join the conversation. How are you making a move towards better living? Tell us about it.
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Kohl’s.